INTERVIEW: Jonathan Harvey.

Jonathan Harvey is an award-winning writer, who has worked on some big projects, including 'Beautiful Thing', 'Gimme Gimme Gimme''Coronation Street' (for the past 10 years). He is currently writing a remake of 'Laid', for ITV2.
 
 
You've had so much success, but what are you most proud of?
"I'm sort of proud of everything, but I suppose my play 'Beautiful Thing' has been the most successful thing as it's been done so many times & gets studied in schools, so I'm certainly proud of that."
 
You've worked with & written for so many amazing actors & actresses, but who do you still want to work with, on a future project?
"I would love to work with Julie Walters. I’m obsessed!".
 
'Gimme Gimme Gimme' is one of the most popular TV comedy series of all time, would you ever consider bringing it back?
"No, because it was so long ago now. It was Kathy Burke's last leading role & she's made it clear now that she is really only interested in directing. As it wouldn't be the same without her, I think it's best to leave it be."
 
Your recent books 'All She Wants' & 'The Confusion Of Karen Carpenter' have both been a huge success, so are you already working on your next book?
"I have finished the third one & have started on the fourth!".
 
 
'Beautiful Thing' is still an incredibly relevant & relatable coming out story, even after 20 years. What do you think is the secret to its longevity?
"It’s a simple story & has some good jokes in it. I think lots of people, no matter what their sexuality, can identify with it as it’s about first love & making the first move & sharing a bed with someone you fancy & being petrified. It's also got a mother/son relationship at the heart of it too, so it’s not just gay people who get it."
 
You bring such a wonderful comedic touch to 'Corrie' through your writing. Which characters do you most enjoy writing for?
"I enjoy writing for them all. My favourite ever was Blanche Hunt & these days I love writing for Mary."
 
Could you make Emily Bishop slut drop for us?
"It’s a distinct impossibility."
 
What's next for you in 2014? What do you want to achieve this year?
"I hope that my 3rd book takes off. Also, I am about to shoot a pilot of a new sitcom, so it’d be nice if that went to a full series."
 
Follow @ShowbizSecrets on Twitter, here, for all of the latest celebrity news.